Coconut Rice Upma Recipe is a tangy and spicy coconut flavored upma. This upma is not made with sooji, it uses rice and coconut and the process is quite different and makes the recipe unique. Rice is grounded along with lots of coconut and spices and steamed like idly and then the upma is made with the crumbled idli mixture. The whole process is bit laborious process but worth the effort.
Prep Time : 3 hours
Cook Time : 45 minutes
Total Time : 3 hours 45 minutes
Servings : 4 servings
Author : Soul Food Spree
Course : Main Course
- 1 tbsp cilantro/coriander seeds
- Rock salt as required
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp channa dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Handful of groundnuts
- 2 glasses of rice, soaked for 3 hours
- 1 grated coconut
- 20 red chillies
- 20 g jaggery
- 20 g tamarind
- 3 tbsp oil
- Into a blender, add 20 red chillies, 20 g tamarind, 1 grated coconut, rock salt as required, 20 g jaggery, 1 tbsp coriander seeds and blend it all.
- Add the soaked rice into the blender and blend all the ingredients again.
- Add some water into the idli cooker and heat it.
- Grease the idli plates with some oil and pour the mixture into them.
- Close the lid and cook the idlies for 10 minutes. Now remove them and place them into a bowl.
- After the steamed idlis cool down, crush it using your hand into small pieces.
- Add 3 tbsp oil into a pan and add a pinch of asafoetida. Add handful of groundnuts, 1 tbsp channa dal, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 sprig curry leaves and mix everything well.
- Add the broken mixture and mix everything well.
- Finally add some coriander for garnish and enjoy the dish