A traditional Andhra style snack made with rice flour, Chana and moong Dal. It is a unique deep fried snack recipe made during festivals or just as a tea time snack.
Prep Time : 3 Hours
Cook Time : 30 minutes
Total Time : 3 hours 30 minutes
Servings : 4 servings
Author : Soul Food Spree
Course : Snacks
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup chana dal
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1/4 cup fried chana
- 1/2 kg rice flour
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 15 cashews
- 2 tbsp hot ghee
- Oil for deep fry
- Salt as per taste
- Soak 1/4 cup of moong dal, 1/4 cup chana dal, 1/4 cup urad dal for 3 hours.
- Grind 1/4 cup of fried chana dal into a fine powder.
- Into a bowl, add 1/2 kg rice flour, 2/3 tbsp of hot ghee, 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, soaked dal, salt as required, fried chana dal powder, broken cashews and mix everything well.
- Add sufficient water until the mixture holds shape.
- Pinch a small ball sized dough. Further, flatten over greased butter paper or a cloth. Press gently, forming a slightly thin disk.
- Peel the chekkalu gently, and deep fry on medium hot oil. Make sure to flip over and fry both sides on low to medium flame.
- Fry until the chekkalu turn crisp and slightly golden.
- Finally, store chekkalu in an airtight container and enjoy for a month.