This is the legendary street food recipe from Tamil Nadu called the rottu kadai kalan. Kalan is mushrooms. Though the name says kalan, it's made with a combination of cabbage and mushrooms. The cabbage adds a nice volume to the dish as well as flavor.
Prep Time : 15 minutes
Cook Time : 30 minutes
Total Time : 45 minutes
Servings : 3 servings
Author : Soul Food Spree
Course : Starters
- Salt as required
- 3 cups mushroom, finely chopped
- 3 cups cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- Oil for deep fry
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 7 pods garlic
- 1 small piece of ginger
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped
- Coriander for garnish
- 1 cup spring onions
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- Into a bowl, add 3 cups mushroom and 3 cups cabbage.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cup wheat flour, 1/2 cup corn flour, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 1 tbsp garam masala, salt as required and mix everything well.
- Gradually add water, mix all the ingredients well and combine till dough is formed.
- Take a ball sized pakoda dough and drop in hot oil for deep fry. Do not over crowd the oil as it wont get crispy.
- Fry on medium flame till the pakoda turns crispy and golden brown.
- Drain off the pakoda onto the kitchen paper to absorb excess oil.
- Cut 3 tomatoes and blend them into a fine puree. Into the same pan, add 2 tbsp oil, 7 pods garlic, 1 small piece of ginger and sauté.
- Add 1 onion, 1 green chilly and sauté. Add 1 cup of spring onions and mix everything well. Add tomato puree and mix everything.
- Add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, 1 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp red chilli powder, 1 tbsp garam masala, salt as required and mix everything well.
- Into a cup, add 1 tbsp corn flour and water. Mix everything well into a slurry. Add the corn flour slurry into the pan and mix everything.
- Now add the fried pakodas and mix everything well. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add coriander for garnish and finally enjoy the dish.